
As the days wind down here in the sandy land, there have been a few things happening, and it all seems to be focusing around media. Some of you may have already seen it, but Lana forwarded me a copy of the Napanee Guide here in Kandahar, they have a section in the newspaper called "Where in the world is the Napanee Guide" Well, it only took a little convincing for the guys to pose for a picture and then everything took off from there. The picture was Immediately printed, unlike other weeks, they usually pick the best one and then print that one, the editor told Lana that because of the efforts on both parts she felt it was best to print it right away. I was then put in contact with a reporter from the Kingston Whig Standard, Ian Elliot who was to be here covering the milestone of one of our aircraft's achieving 45,000 flying hours, he was also doing a local (Kingston) spin on the article and I was able to meet with him yesterday for about 15 minutes. The interview was very interesting and I can hardly wait for that to be printed, on a side but personal note, I really hope the picture he took makes the paper, perfect hero shot!! :) Anyway all of the "Hollywood" aside, It was really nice to see people from home here covering the things we are doing. If anyone is curious about what is being done over here in an Airforce role, I think the article will do it some justice. So we are definitely gearing down for our departure from KAF and gearing up for our remaining 17 or so days in the Middle East, like I have said before, this trip has been the easiest of the three, in all aspects, but we are all very tired, more mentally I think then anything else and I am really looking forward to a little down time and get back into my regular routine back home. Of course, I certainly cannot wait to be in my bed with my baby, I know it is going to take a little coaxing over time to get my side of the bed back but there is no real rush. ;) There is one thing I am not really looking forward to going back to the safe zone, the Internet has been drastically downgraded, only 60 people on at a time. So sit and wait your turn, not quite sure the change but I don't care, I will be home in no time!!
So, I guess I have a new nickname...Fifi, I had a chance today to go and have a real Thai Massage, $35 for 50 minutes of oil relaxation massage. WOW, I came out of there wondering where I had just visited, cause it most certainly was not in Afghanistan, I fell into a state of relaxation for 50 straight minutes and it was wonderful. I am very happy that I have experienced and yes Lana, now I know why you enjoy having massages!! So , I have now been to a tanning salon, had a massage and whats next, maybe eyebrow waxing or a pedicure....don't laugh, while I was waiting my turn for my massage, one of those big burly Marines walked in all sheepishly and asked the attendant if they "did eyebrows". He seemed quite disappointed when they said no!!
This will be my last update from KAF and in light of the Internet situation in the safe zone I will have to see how it goes there, ultimately I still have email at work. I will sign off for now and I hope all is well back home, till next time...
P.S I want to say a special Hello to my mother, who checks my blog often at the library. I'm proud of her for making the effort and learning how to use the computer! I Love you Mom and your in my thoughts, I will call you when I get home XO
Support Our Troops
~M
3 comments:
Glad all is well, the countdown really begins.
Your call to your Dad yesterday for his Birthday was the highlight of his day. Thank Mark, it means soooo much.
Take care and regards to the gang. Can't wait to give you a a big hug.
love Raine xxx
Hey Mark, So glad to hear that you had some down time. Sorry I have not written in a while, but I do read your Blog. Love the pics of Lana in the snow. You are right she is a Trooper.
There is one thing you can try lol
that would be lash extentions or brow tinting. Maybe you and lana would like to go together for the next massage that would be nice.
Well I guess that's it for now
Take care of you SOT
Grats on your 15 minutes of fame, cuz ;). Take care and come home safe!
See you sometime soon!
Post a Comment