Wednesday, October 8, 2008
Another "Feel Good" Moment!
I'm not quite sure if it is my "old age", but when I see feel good stories, the get me chocked up! I want to start witht the story about Cedric, downtown here in the safe zone, we have come to like a Local coffee shop that serves the best "Americanized" coffee and the to die for Cinamon Sticky Buns I have ever had. Cedric is an employee there and on our first visit, tried to make conversation with us, he was asking us way to much information about why we were there. It was somewhat tricky answering the question as it it is supposed to be confidential why we are here. We did end up having a common interest in the fact that he likes UFC fighting and most of us do as well. He treadted us like kings every time we went in for our coffee, the other night, three of us went in and he noticed us, came over and instantly started chatting, after a bit, I went outside to have a smoke, and Cedric followed me, I was a little concerned he was going to ask me questions, well, he did....but not what I thought, In his deep Philipino accent, he says "Sir, guess how old am I? I guessed at 27 and he told me he was 22, He started talking about his family back home and how his girlfriend just had a baby, he started to cry....WOW, what an impact, this young man, away from his family for such a long time, supporting his girlfriend, baby and his parents. He told me that he makes the equivalent to $500 American a month, and he keeps $50 for himself. He was ecited to tell me that he was being promoted to supervisor and was getting a raise of an extra $100, now I'm not sure how this would equate to minimum wage jobs back home, but I guess what hit me the most is the fact that people sacrifice so much for those they love. Don't get me wrong, there are way bigger sacrifices then what I am doing over here, especially our "boys" in the field, but I don't think I would be in this if it wasn't for my love of my family and the support they give me!!
I have posted the above video that is floating around the internet, George Canyon does a remarkable job portraying the conflicts over here. A little bit of background on this video...I was working the late shift at work when he bagan shooting the video, The parking of the Herc and the lighting units that lit up the Herc was mine and a buddies doing. We were tasked to go help, had no idea what we were helping for, later to find out that it was a video. So a little Mark connection to a very powerful video and song. In all honesty, this is the first time I have seen it, Thank you Lana. This video really sends home the message of why we are here..what we are doing. George Canyon has been here several times and I had the privelege of flying home to Canada with him last trip...especially the 3 hour stop over in Germany, playing a makeshift basketball game in the terminal with everyone!!
So, my countdown to coming home is definitly on, the benchmark is my birthday, unfortunately, I don't think we will be out of here by then, but once that arrives, I know it is only a few days before I see my Family, who I have missed greatly this trip, I'm looking forward to Thanksgiving dinner at Dad and Larraines and I can't wait to get a Tim Hortons Coffee. But I think mostly is to get home and watch some hockey!! I can't wait to sit in my Lazy Boy chair and turn on the tube...Hmmmm, I wonder what Cedric will be doing! I will never forget this young man!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hi Mark thanks for the interesting update. Like I said you missed your calling, you should be a journalist. You make for interesting reading. With thatnote I think you should write a book at sometime in the futre.
Well take care and can't wait to hear that you are home safe.
Love Mom
Post a Comment