Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Merry Christmas from the Middle East

Hey there all and Merry Christmas to everyone! By the time you all have a chance to read this update it will be Christmas Eve for me, we are 9 hours ahead of you and things happen here first. Let me start first by saying I am still having a bit of a hard time respecting the fact that it is Christmas, today it reached 33 degrees Celsius and except for the background Christmas music being played from the chapel, there is not much buzz. I'm thinking that everyone is in the same boat and just wanting it to be done. Then I had a chance to just think and found my self singing to some of the music; like Blue Christmas by Elvis, or even Jingle Bell Rock. Today I went into town just to get away from the camp for a bit, we went to a Walmart type store. I have been in this store many times before over the past, but always have felt rushed to get in and get out and this time I did something a little different, I decided to walk every isle! I bet Lana can just picture it with my little stroll on, hands in my pocket and just watching the people. As I made my way to the grocery section I stopped at almost every "foreign" type food that I did not recognize, trying to figure it out, most of it was in the fresh food area. So I started to make my way back to the front and walk back to electronics, my favorite area to browse. A tiny Philippine lady who worked in the frozen foods section made eye contact with me, I smiled at her and she smiled back at me, I started to walk past her and she said "Hi Sir...Merry Christmas" I was stunned and not quite sure why, maybe I was thinking they didn't celebrate Christmas over here. I responded by saying Thank you and wished her a Merry Christmas as well. At that moment I said to myself, why can't I celebrate Christmas while I am away. Why can't I think of all my family members during this time? It is probably the most memorable time for my family and not because of the gifts that we receive, but for the simple fact that we are together and nothing else and I mean nothing else comes between us!
Christmas eve has become a family tradition for Lana and I to host local family to our house for a get together and gift exchanges, as well as an unknown "Secret Santa" who drops by with a sack full of goodies. This year was no different, Lana had agreed with the assistance of other to pull it off yet again. My plan was to arise early - 2am and be a part of the festivities while it was going on. As of right now, I am scheduled to fly from here to Afghanistan on Christmas morning...early morning. Remember I mentioned the 9 hour time difference, well I may only get an hour or so with them all and for that I am grateful. As I prepare to start the second phase of our journey of this trip to Kandahar, I am going with no expectations but fully aware of what I have encountered on the last two trips. But I can tell you that things have been extremely quiet up there and that makes me feel good. It is especially going to feel good to be reunited with the rest of my crew mates and OH YEA Tim Horton's....God, I Sooooooooo Can't wait for that. The rest of the boys can have there Christmas cheer at the mess dinner on Christmas day, I WILL be showing up with my Timmies in hand!! So tomorrow will be spent finishing packing and tidying up some lose ends and then in the evening, I will go and play Bingo..don't laugh. They have awesome prizes, can't win if you don't play! Then to bed for and early morning wake up. I want you all to know that I read your comments and cherish all of them and I also want you to know that I am holding a very special heart very tight and very close to mine and will not let go. ;) So as I sign off...Merry Christmas to all of you, I hope that Santa brings everything you want...Lana, Santa will bring you yours in February baby! Enjoy the season, relax and don't worry...Mark is doing OK!! Till next time...

Support Our Troops
~M

6 comments:

Byron said...

It is the simple things in life that can bring you happiness. A simple smile goes a long way.

Hang tough bro
love ya

Raine said...

Love you Mark... I think of you and the crew everyday.. You and your crew get a morning kiss each day at work. I promise to "buck up and do the right thing for Christmas".

If you can, so can I... S.O.T.

Raine xxx

Shelly said...

Merry Christmas Bro! You have inspired all of us!!!!!

Stay Safe, and wish your crew a merry Christmas from the MacLean Clan!

Love you!
XOXO

John said...

Hey Bro
Its a tough time to be away but try to make the most of it ... you're with your second family and I'm sure you will all make it the best holiday it can be under the circumtances. My cousins (Stuart MacDonald and Monica Lee (nee Campbell)) and my uncle (Ken Nunn) have all retired in the past year ... just you to worry about now. Take care and all the best to you and yours in 2009, John. SOT.

Oh yeah ... Go Leafs Go!!

Mel said...

Merry Christmas Mark ! How you find little ways to enjoy.
Extended the Christmas wishes to all your crew as well !

Anonymous said...

Hi Mark sorry I did not get to you sooner. Glad to hear you still got to be with family via. webcam for Xmas. I can just see you wondering Walmart lol Hang tough you will be back home before you know it. Give your crew my best wishes as well. I know moral is not the best right now but, support for each other is the best medicine. Take care love and miss you too mom D xoxo SOT